Addiction treatment programs are prevalent throughout the United States, as well as throughout the world. Once it has been determined that entering an addiction treatment program is necessary, it can seem daunting in determining which program to attend. Addiction treatment programs have a number of options, ranging from:
- Detox services
- Type of dependency
- Location and environment
- Therapeutic approaches
- Length of stay
- 12-Step based
- Specific accommodations
- Treatment philosophy
- Aftercare programs
- Group therapy groups
The Most Effective Treatment Program
Addicts each have individual needs that need to be addressed in order to recovery. Choosing an appropriate treatment program will aid in the recovery process, especially in hopes of attaining long-term sobriety. The most effective treatment program is a residential program offering detox services.
A residential program removes the addict from their environment in order to work on the physical and psychological aspects of their addiction. An addiction treatment program should focus on learning about their addiction and effective ways to live in sobriety and the psychological, physical, and spiritual aspects that led the addict to pick up in the first place.
Entering an addiction treatment program is the best way to regain control of one’s life and overcome one addiction. The mission of addiction treatment programs is to provide addicts with the necessary tools to live a life in recovery. Addiction treatment programs will most likely:
- Address medical and psychiatric needs
- Provide medical management
- Facilitate family therapy groups
- Developing interpersonal relationships
- Improve daily living skills
- Attend and participate in 12-step programs
Types of Addiction Treatment Programs Include:
* Residential Addiction Treatment Centers: These usually specialize The recommended length of stay is a minimum of 90 days, leading to long-term recovery.in treating drug addiction, alcoholism, and dual diagnosis. Patients reside in the facility receiving 24-hour support and care.
* Hospital-Based Rehabilitation Unit: These addiction treatment programs are located in a general hospital unit. The population of these programs is for those suffering from substance abuse addiction, but have also developed chronic or acute medical or psychiatric problems.
* Long Term Residential Treatment/ Extended Care: These programs are designed for those needing extended care, for they are displaying drug-seeking behavior, relapsing, or require additional support.
* Outpatient Addiction Treatment Programs: Outpatient programs do not require patients to reside at the facility. Many are able to maintain employment or remain in school. Many patients recently discharged from residential or long-term treatment attend outpatient programs to continue receiving support, while developing daily life skills.
* Partial Hospital/Day Treatment Programs: These programs are intensive outpatient addiction treatment programs that meet five days a week for about four to five hours.
* Therapeutic Communities: These communities vary in style, content, and length of stay and operate in residential and outpatient programs.